Jello Chocolate Pudding is one of the basic food groups and necessary for a happy life. Tragically, it's not sold in the UK! (Except from rip-off specialty importers who charge over $5 a single box.)
I knew if I searched long enough I would find a make-it-from-scratch recipe for it. Voila! This is so good my husband tries to sweet-talk me into letting him have the whole thing for himself.
It's uber rich and comforting.
Grown-up Dark Chocolate Pudding
1 1/2 oz. dark chocolate (I used a 72% dark)
1/4 cup sugar -rounded generously
1 3/4 cups whole milk
1/8 t salt
3 T cornstarch
1/4 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Melt the chocolate either in a heavyweight saucepan over low heat or in a double boiler. This depends on your skill and experience. I do it in a small heavy pot on a medium setting halogen electric range. If you aren't sure, go for the double boiler and be safe; you do not want to burn the chocolate. Make sure you stir gently.
2. Slowly stir in sugar and 1 3/4 cups milk and salt.
3. Heat to slight boil while stirring slow and gentle.
4. Dissolve cornstarch in 1/4 cup milk.
5. Slowly stir the cornstarch mixture into the chocolate mixture.
6. Cook stirring constantly until quite thick and gently bubbling. (If you are using a double boiler - over boiling water it takes 5-8 minutes).
7. Turn off heat and continue to stir. When slightly cool, stir in vanilla.
8. Pour into 4 serving dishes and cool.