The Ultimate Brownie is absolutely the best brownie recipe I've ever found. It is tall like a cakey-brownie, but is dense like a fudgy-brownie. I just made a batch tonight and the house is full of a gentle chocolate scent - irresistible! It's easy to make and pretty forgiving if you tend to toss in a bit more this and less that like I do.
- 8 ounces unsweetened chocolate or fine quality 70% dark chocolate
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt (I cheat and only use 1/2)
- 2-1/2 cups chopped pecans or walnuts
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F/190 C/ 170 Fan.
Grease a 9 x 13 pan. You can also bake this in 2 round cake pans, etc.
1. Melt chocolate and butter in a saucepan over low heat; set aside.
2.In a mixer, beat eggs, sugar and vanilla at high speed for 10 minutes. (If you use a Kitchenaid type mixer, 5 minutes may be enough.)
3. Blend in alternately chocolate mixture, flour and salt until just mixed. Stir in the nuts.
4. Pour into prepared pan/s.
5. Bake for 35-40 minutes. (Don't overbake.) If you are using 2 round pans, 30 minutes may be enough. Just check to prevent burning. Brownies will start to shrink away from sides of pan as it nears doneness.
6. Cool and frost if desired, but that is not necessary.
These brownies are dead gorgeous. Believe me, I know. You can wrap half of them in a freezer proof bag and save for later. Or you can take any extras to work and win the abject gratitude of the entire staff.