Horseradish Whipped Cream Sauce
This is a simple to mix together but luxuriously delicious horseradish sauce that tastes amazing with rare roast beef but also delicious as a dip for raw vegetables, a tart spread for sandwiches - endless uses. It lasts for several weeks in an airtight container - not in my house tho because we consume the stuff in a flash; it's literally finger licking good.
Note: You absolutely must make this stuff at least 2 hours before use to give the flavours a chance to mature and develop. Fresh made it's tasty but allowed to develop for 2 hours it's divine. Great to make the day before serving for your convenience.
1/2 cup double cream/heavy cream
1/2 cup creme fraiche/cultured sour cream
1/2 cup horseradish
2 T finely chopped fresh chives
1 T fresh squeezed lemon juice
salt & pepper
pinch of fresh thyme leaves - if you don't have fresh don't bother
1. In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk the cream until it reaches softly whipped stage
2. Gently whisk in the creme fraiche, then the horseradish
3. Stir in the chopped chives and lemon juice
4. If you have fresh thyme, pull off a pinch of leaves and sprinkle on the mix.
5. Cautiously add fresh ground pepper and salt. Stir and taste. Keep to the conservative side because you will do a final balance after the mix has a chance to develop.
6. Cover and let sit in the refrigerator for 2 hours for the flavours to develop. When ready to use, stir and taste and adjust salt & pepper as needed.