Thursday, January 7, 2010

Red Cabbage Borscht

I was stuck at home yesterday due to the weather and there was nothing in the house to eat and very little in the way of supplies. What I -did- have was a head of red cabbage, some onions and some apples. So I made a red cabbage version of borscht which was absolutely delicious.

1 head of red cabbage
a few onions
a few apples
butter
4 cups beef broth
sugar
apple cider vinegar
sour cream
salt
pepper

I sliced up the cabbage and onions in my food processor, then put them in a pot with a few tablespoons of butter to soften. Meanwhile I peeled, cored, and chopped my apples then added them. After about 15-20 minutes, I added 4 cups of beef broth (sadly I had to use bullion cubes), 1/2 cup cider vinegar, 1/4 sugar and about a teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper.

I brought this to the boil, then let it simmer uncovered for an hour. Serve with a spoon of sour cream. And some love. <3

No comments: